Rush Limbaugh, the bombastic, right-wing conspiracy mongering talk show host, who helped launch Donald Trump, is dead. He was 70.
Limbaugh died of complications from lung cancer according to an announcement on today’s “Rush Limbaugh Show” radio show.
“I would like a medal for smoking cigars, is what I’m saying,” he once said, denying that first or second hand smoke can lead to lung cancer.
Then, Limbaugh made the stunning announcement that he was fighting advanced lung cancer in February a year ago.
He continued to do his nationally syndicated show, although guest hosts who would fill in for him on treatment days or days when he wasn’t able to be on the air.
Former President Donald Trump awarded the Radio Hall of Famer the Presidential Medal of Freedom during Trump’s State of the Union address a few days after Rush’s cancer announcement.
Limbaugh, whose broadcasting career spans more than three decades, has become a sounding board for right-wing conspiracy theories and an unabashed supporter of Trump and his more grandiose fabrications.
Ann Hornaday Finds an Ally for Mass Murder Movie Link… Rush Limbaugh
In 2012, Limbaugh infamously claimed that the movie “Dark Knight Rises” was a left wing conspiracy to undermine the candidacy of presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney.
In 2014, Limbaugh drew a connection between the murders at the University of California Santa Barbara and the movie “Hunger Games.”
“Do you know what the Hunger Games movies are about?” Limbaugh bellowed. “It’s teenagers killing other teenagers.”
‘D’oh! Rush Limbaugh Thinks Stephen Colbert Character is Real!
Limbaugh also blamed the left for “politicizing” the murders, an apparent reference to calls for stricter gun control by the parents of the victims
Limbaugh also thew his hefty media weight behind embattled Ariz. Gov. Jan Brewer with a bizarre argument about a state anti-gay bill that stands the notion of “bullying” on its head.
Rush Limbaugh Plays ‘Bully’ Card in Arizona Anti-Gay Debate
But that’s not all. He’s also attacked women, feminism, migrants, climate change, health care activists, First Lady Michelle Obama, African-Americans and American Indians among others.
Not surprisingly, some took his announcement as an opportunity to return the karma.
“Ladies and gentleman, this day has been one of the most difficult days in recent memory for me because I’ve known this moment was coming in the program today,” Limbaugh began.
Rush Limbaugh Digs In on National TV at Super Bowl
“So I have to tell you something today that I wish I didn’t have to tell you,” he continued. “I have been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer.”
He said he was taking a few days off for tests and treatment options but would return by Thursday (Feb. 26).
The five-year survival rate for stage 4 lung cancer is 4.7 percent, which suggest Limbaugh is facing a terminal disease. But advances in lung cancer treatment could improve his chances of living longer.
Roughly 40 percent of people with lung cancer are diagnosed at stage 4, which means that the cancer has metastasized throughout the body to the brain, bones, or liver, according to medical references.
In 2003, The National Enquirer reported that Limbaugh was under investigation for illegally obtaining the prescription drugs oxycodone and hydrocodone. He admitted to listeners on his radio show on Oct 10, 2003, that he was addicted to prescription painkillers.
Given all of the invective he’s spewed over the years, it seems only fitting that his own words should serve as his epitaph.
Here are 25 of his choicest statements. May he rest in peace.
25. “Women should not be allowed on juries where the accused is a stud.” –1994
24. “If you feed them, if you feed the children, three square meals a day during the school year, how can you expect them to feed themselves in the summer? Wanton little waifs and serfs dependent on the State. Pure and simple.” –2012
23. “Feminism was established so as to allow unattractive women access to the mainstream of society.” –2005
22. “[The gay community] would be so against abortion if it was discovered that you could abort what you knew were gonna be gay babies.” –2003
21. “The ocean will take care of this [ Gulf of Mexico oil spill] on its own if it was left alone and left out there. It’s natural. It’s as natural as the ocean water is.” –2005
20. “Exercise freaks … are the ones putting stress on the health care system.” –2009
19. “Climate change is nothing but a bunch of computer models that attempt to tell us what’s going to happen in 50 years or 30.” –2019
18. “What Trump is alleged to have done is actually no different than what Barack Obama did in April last year when he made it known that he didn’t want Hillary prosecuted.” — 2017
17. “Obama regime planned the influx of illegal alien children at the border.” –2014
16. “Obamacare is going to increase the divorce rate.” –2013
15. “Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?”
14. “We need segregated buses… This is Obama’s America.”
13. “Feminism has led women astray. I love the women’s movement, especially when walking behind it.” –2010
12. “Cholesterol has nothing to do with heart disease. Nothing wrong with saturated fats.” –2011
11. “What is it with all of these young, single white women? Over-educated doesn’t mean intelligent.” –2012
10. “The only way to reduce the number of nuclear weapons is to use them.”
9. “When a gay person turns his back on you, it is anything but an insult; it’s an invitation.” –1994
8. “The biggest killer of innocent people ever devised is poverty, which can be brought about by communism/socialism.”
7. “The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.” –1992
6. “I prefer to call the most obnoxious feminists what they really are: feminazis.” –1992
5. “The NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it.” –2008
4. “You know how to stop abortion? Require that each one occur with a gun,” –2013
3. “I think cigars are just a tremendous addition to the enjoyment of life.” –1994
2. “How many people have died since the white man arrived due to lung cancer, thanks to the Indian custom of smoking.”
1. “Firsthand smoke takes 50 years to kill people. Not everybody that smokes gets cancer. Now, it’s true that everybody who smokes dies, but so does everyone who eats carrots.”